Sunday, May 23, 2010

Stop and Smell the Flowers


Having just picked up my child from school, in a rush to prepare dinner I made a beeline to the door. My son, who seemed to be moving in slow motion, asked if he could pick the flowers blooming so beautifully in our front yard. I impatiently replied, “No, let them stay there for all to enjoy.” But before I could get the key through the door and scold him for running in the opposite direction, my son quickly picked a daffodil to present to me. “Here Mom,” he politely whispered, “I want you to have it.” Then he began to instruct me, “Put it behind your ear mom.” I did as he said. “Wow you look so beautiful,” he uttered.

In the midst of hurrying to get through the door and get dinner on the table, my son had managed to stop time for me. I took a few minutes to reflect on his life’s journey. You see it was a long, arduous expedition that led to his birth. Infertility had taken its toll on his Dad and I, yet, miraculously, after nine years of tests, diagnosis, infertility treatments, failed in vitro fertilization attempts and an ectopic pregnancy, we rejoiced at God’s miracle: a healthy embryo growing and thriving inside me.

I so enjoyed being pregnant, despite the morning sickness, the shortness of breath I experienced and the occasional discomfort from a growing belly. I viewed myself as God’s willing vessel, a participant in bringing forth new life. During my last trimester, he moved and squirmed so much, I thought he was a contortionist. He made imprints on my protruding mid-section, and I constantly asked my husband to witness the theatrics. I realized space was becoming limited for him and it seemed that he was anxious to make his arrival. And, I was eager to meet him.

My baby came into the world with a very loud scream and my life has not been the same since. He has given me some sleepness nights. It seems like yesterday, I would often be heard commenting, “when will he sleep through the night,” and now how I miss holding him in my arms and feeding him. During his young life I pushed for every milestone, “When will he walk? When will he become potty trained? When will he learn to eat on his own?” Yet, I miss those early stages and realized that my friends with older children, who so wisely stated, “He won’t stay young long,” were so right.

I soon shifted back to the present and finally responded to my son’s thoughtfulness, “Thank you sweetie, you are my biggest fan, next to Dad, and I love you.” He replied with a quick, “You’re welcome Mom,” and focused on his next request, “Can I watch a DVD?”

That day my son taught me a valuable lesson – take time to allow the busyness of life to be interrupted. Yes, life can be hectic. As women, we are balancing multiple roles: wife, mother, professional, housekeeper, Sunday school teacher, volunteer and so much more. But, in the midst of it all don’t forget to stop to smell the flowers. Taking time to enjoy and reflect on God’s blessings will surely transport you to a place of joy, laughter, tears, thankfulness and praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment