Sunday, May 16, 2010

In a Word

Scorched is the perfect adjective to describe how I felt sitting in 90 degree weather, insulated in a black cap and gown on a shadeless, breezeless football field. To say I felt like a wilted black rose would be an understatement. But despite the back sweating-stick to your seat-hair flattening temperature, I was certainly glad to be in the number.

Uncertain is the appropriate word. June marks year four for me, here in a different state. Before moving, life had thrown me a series of curve balls. Nothing made sense to me. I was almost forty years old and my life was about to take on a drastic change. I was going to be single, my daughter was on her way to college, I had a new job, my friends and church family would now be six hundred miles away. All the plans that I had made for myself had all but vanished. I was questioning everything, everyone, and God.

Perfect is what God is. In the midst of uncertainty, when things were so chaotic God proved himself over and over again. And often led me to Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” I had all these plans...all these dreams which I neglected to lay before the Lord. While I do not agree with all things “Oprah”, she does make a very profound statement. “God can dream a bigger dream for you than you could ever dream for yourself.” Which leads me back to my sauna of a graduation. Looking back four years ago, I never would have imagined getting another degree but God did. I never would have imagined buying a house by myself but God did. I never would have imagined being blessed the way that I am now.

Thankful is a great word. I am so thankful that God loves me, cares for me and has the perfect plan for my life.

Timing for God is not always our timing. Life may have thrown you a couple of curve balls, that may have you feeling dazed, depressed, and maybe even downright enraged. Just remember God has a plan for you. It may not be a plan you envisioned for yourself, but one that is a more than you could have ever imagine. Be still and know that He is God! Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

  1. So on time for me! Thank you for such inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete