Monday, May 31, 2010

The Grass Isn't That Green

Growing up, I couldn’t wait for the weekend to roll around. Friday nights at 8 were the absolute best. That’s when my parents would transform our living room into my brothers’ bedroom. Each night the sofa cushions were removed from what we referred to as the “let-out-couch,” to reveal and unfold the full-sized bed that lay dormant all day. After the linens were tucked and pillows fluffed, I would take my place underneath the sleeper sofa, positioning myself between the two metal support bars. I had a clear and perhaps a much too close view of our family’s television set. For about thirty minutes I was transported to a world where problems were solved in a matter of minutes with laughter, quick wit, and a catch phrase. I thought Man, this must be the life. I would be so happy if my parents were rich or if I were on television. It was the beginning of a beautiful weekend.

I spent many an evening underneath that bed, eyes glued to a box of picture and sound. I must have viewed every episode of Different Strokes. Never once did I think that the children who seemed to have everything they could possibly want had struggles beyond my wildest imagination. It’s ironic how a television show that prompted such happiness to its young audience, produced sadness and misfortune for its three young actors.

Many times, we think the grass is always greener on the other side, when it’s actually astroturf; fake, phony, and painfully rough. God’s word teaches that covetousness leads to "many sorrows" (1 Timothy 6:10; James 5:1). Only God can give true, lasting satisfaction (Psalms 107:9; Isaiah 55:1-2) and joy that cannot be taken away (John 16:22). So many times we want what others have, without realizing what it took for them to obtain it. That brand-new car that you see someone driving, are you willing to live on hot dogs and beans for a year to obtain it? That house that is so beautifully decorated, are you willing to live with the abusive spouse that comes with it? That chubby-cheeked little boy who seems to have the life you desperately want, are you willing to suffer through two kidney surgeries, parents that steal from you and an adult life marred with money woes, continued health issues, anger and bitterness?

The news of Gary Coleman’s passing saddened me. While I didn’t personally know him, he was part of my childhood. A childhood where double-dutch, freeze-tag, hide-and-go-seek, and a walk to my grandmother’s house was a substitute for the non-existent Wii. A time when life was pretty good, despite the fact that I didn’t live in a penthouse on Park Avenue. Truth be told, those things that I thought I needed was simply Satan’s way of planting a seed of covetousness. A seed that if watered by the cares of this world will keep me from God’s best. So when I look at the lives and possessions of others, I try to remember that everything that glitters isn't always gold and that the richness of God is far greater than anything man seeks to obtain.

So as I reflect upon the passing of a piece of my childhood, I thank God for the rich blessings he has bestowed on me throughout my life, and hope that the little boy who brought a smile to many a face so long ago, came to know the Lord before his passing as a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment