Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Assassination of Procrastination

I put a “hit” on procrastination. I want it abducted, tormented and ultimately annihilated. Procrastination has severely impacted my life. I wished it away, but to no avail. I kicked it in the shins, only to be kicked back. I’ve wrestled it to the ground, but it just got back up again.

I have been tussling with procrastination for decades. It reared its ugly head when I was a teenager, as I began to cram for tests and prepare essays and book reports the night before they were due. The problem escalated in college: I missed opportunities and deadlines and scored low on too many midterms and finals. As I evolved into an adult, procrastination joined the evolution. It has caused me unnecessary stress at work; the loss of money and time with my family and so much more.

Just two weeks ago, it made an unwanted appearance. There I was, with my child, helping him with an art project minutes before he was to depart for school. I became frustrated and started to raise my voice, but the truth is I had two weeks to make sure he completed this assignment, yet here I was again beset by procrastination. I felt guilty for yelling at my son for something that was clearly my fault. More importantly, I had inadvertently introduced him to procrastination.

I vowed to rid myself of this horrible habit before it seeped into my son’s life, thus the “hit.” But, how can I truly destroy something that has so vehemently affected my life and the lives of so many others?

Here’s my plan of attack:

PRAY. The Bible says the “effective prayer of a righteous person has great power.” (James 5:16). I believe in the power of prayer. I know God can alter any situation or help restrain any bad habit if we simply consult him about it. “Acknowledge him and he shall direct your path.” (Proverbs 3:6)

FAST. This spiritual discipline requires abstaining from food to focus on God for the strength, wisdom and direction you need. (Mark 9:29) To break a decades-old habit, going the extra mile is definitely warranted.

MEDITATE on the WORD. “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.” (Proverbs 23:7) In order to change a behavior, changing your thought process is vital. Focusing on scriptures that deal with slothfulness (Hebrews 6:12) and, timeliness (Ecclesiastes 3:1) will surely lead to a renewed mind.

BE AWARE OF THE CONSEQUENCES. The parable of the ten virgins (Matthew 25: 1-13) clearly highlights the missed opportunity as a result of dawdling. Five women reaped the benefits of being prepared, while the other five suffered mightily.

As the Nike slogan goes, JUST DO IT. “I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.” (John 4:9) As a procrastinator, this is by far the most difficult task. But, with God’s power it can be done.

This week, let’s focus on this plan of action, in addition to writing down our goals for the week. Let’s commit to completing them all. Then let’s get together to celebrate the assassination of procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment